Many professional drivers are unnecessarily injured each winter. Most injuries can be prevented by keeping in mind a few simple safety steps:
- Always use proper footwear which includes a rugged, non-slip sole that provides support for each ankle.
- Always be aware of where you are about to walk, as ice and snow can often be found in/around parking areas where drivers may be required to walk.
- Before entering or exiting the tractor, watch for ice accumulating on handrails or steps.
- Never attach carpet onto tractor steps during the winter as it will accumulate water and freeze into a sheet of ice.
- Always use three points of contact when exiting/entering the tractor, the trailer, or climbing onto the catwalk.
- Slip-on traction devices can often prevent slips/falls when a driver must walk outside the truck on snow or ice (remove prior to entering the truck or walking on a dry surface).